Genealogy and Local History: National
Ancestry Library (onsite access only): >Search Census records, books, and serials.
19th Century U.S. Newspapers (onsite access only): Search 19th-century newspapers from every state.
Genealogy and Local History: Local
Suggested CDPL databases to get started:
- Local History Collection: Search the entire CDPL Local History collection for both catalogued and uncatalogued items.
- Cemeteries of Montgomery County:Contains readings of county tombstones dating from the early 1800s to 1981.
- Vital Statistics: An index to the births, marriages, deaths, obituaries, reunions, and more in local newspapers from 1834 to present day. You can consult the microfilm of papers onsite.
- Marriage Affidavits, Records, and Licenses: Images (.pdf) of the actual pages for affidavits and records from 1883-1940. Licenses are also being digitized, from 1823-1940.
- Images: Images (.jpg and .pdf) of our postcards, photos, letters, documents, etc. that we have scanned. It also references other images not yet scanned but held in storage.
- Montgomery County magazines: Index to historical articles published between 1976-present. You can consult the magazines’ issues onsite.
- Guardian’s Docket: Images (.pdf) of the actual pages, covering 1825-1874.
- Naturalization Records — This index of naturalization records links to several types of digitized documents: transcriptions, photocopies of original documents, and original documents (when available) in .pdf or .jpg formats. Some names link to more than one document.
- Persons and Firms — The Persons & Firms index covers a variety of publications useful to the researcher. Most of these publications do not have their own index. This database returns in your search the name of the publication, its location in the library (call number), and page numbers.
More databases and documents…
- Atlas of Montgomery County: 1878 Images of the complete atlas (.pdf) Illustrated Historical Atlas of the State of Indiana (1876) Leads to maps of not just Indiana counties and towns, but also to national maps and statistics from the 1870 United States Census.
- Account book of a general store (Burk, M. L.) in Dunlapsville, Union County Images of an account book (.pdf) covering 1837-1839.
- The Family Bible Project from the Genealogy Club of Montgomery County offers access to information in local family Bibles.
- Central School and Crawfordsville High School Faculty/Staff Index: An index to faculty/staff (.pdf) from 1876-2001.
- Clerk Records (1868-1874): Records of city proceedings, minutes, reports, bylaws, etc.
- Confederate Veterans buried in Montgomery County: A listing of 64 Confederate veterans buried in Montgomery County with unit and cemetery information (.pdf).
- Events: An index of events mentioned in local newspapers (includes accidents, business openings, crimes, fires, etc. mainly 1973-77, 1990, 1998-present). You can consult the microfilm of papers onsite.
- Genealogy Vertical File (Index): An index of research (family group charts, pedigree charts, correspondence, etc.) contributed by patrons.
- Hawcreek Church of God Records: Leads to images (.pdf) of the records between 1839-1853. (802 records)
- Persons & Organizations (Index): An index to Montgomery County people and organizations (businesses, clubs, etc.) mentioned in various publications.
- Probate Records of Montgomery County (Index): An index to the probate records (.pdf) from 1822-1940. Indexed by names of decedents and estate administrators. Volume and page numbers refer to the original ledgers. The library owns microfilm copies of the ledgers, which may be consulted onsite. (order form)
- Register of Negroes and Mulattoes: Leads to images (.pdf) of the actual pages, covering 1851-1853.
- Sanborn map of Crawfordsville, 1925: Single image of the February 1925 Sanborn insurance of Crawfordsville, Indiana. Separate detailed sections of the map are available onsite.
- Sheet music scores: A compilation of sheet music or scores including patriotic and novelty songs from the early 1900s, soundtrack songs from popular films of the 1930s and 1940s, holiday carols from around the world, and an assortment of popular hits from the Twentieth Century.
- Teachers: Examinations and Contracts Leads to images (.pdf) of the documents covering 1881-1912.
- Three Years in the Saddle: A digitized diary of Henry Campbell’s Journal of Events, Facts, and Incidents Connected with the 18th Indiana Battery (Civil War).
- Veterans: This database contains information on more than 6,000 county veterans associated with Montgomery County, from the Revolutionary War to present day.
- Wingate News Vital Statistics: An index to the newspaper (.pdf) from 1943-1952, 1964-1968. You can consult the microfilm of this paper onsite.
- Wingate News Events: An index to the newspaper (.pdf) from 1943-1947, 1964-1968. You can consult the microfilm of this paper onsite.
- Yearbooks: An index to many annuals of Montgomery County schools from 1902-present. This database covers the yearbooks that we possess, which you can consult onsite.
Profiles of Indiana, 2016: History, statistics, demographics for 786 populated places in Indiana, with detailed state and government histories, plus comparative statistics and rankings.
WorldCat Discovery: Search library catalogs from around the world including CDPL’s catalog. Onsite? Submit an interlibrary loan request in WorldCat by clicking on Request Item tab. Offsite? Click on the Library Links tab and select ILL Request Form.
Inspire: Search for magazine and journal articles, websites, pamphlets, images, almanacs, library catalogs, and more. Inspire is Indiana’s Virtual Library.
Chilton Automotive (onsite access only): Get automotive and truck repair help. For offsite access, contact the Reference desk at (765)362-2242, ext.117.
Morningstar (onsite access only): Morningstar Investment Research Center.
ReferenceUSA: This database is the premier source business and residential information for research and reference.